Introduction

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Introduction

Postby Con Chrys » Fri 06 Feb 2004 10:14 am

Just a quick hello,
I've been surfing this board for awhile and thought I'd register and say g'day. My name is Con Chrys and I'm located in NE Victoria. Lots of people here with Labs, Goldens, GSPs etc which is a trifle sad as your really missing out by not having a Brittany! :D Now that my allegiance is exposed, I was wondering if I could ask a few questions?
1. I'm in NE Victoria and looking to join a club that would enable me to get some training support. Does anyone know of any within an hour or so of Benalla, Vic? Albury/Wodonga perhaps?
2. Reading the bulletins on Rules etc, I was wondering where do you get a rule book from and what organisation has the "Rule book"? I've a second Brittany on order (waiting for the bitch to come into heat is killing me!!!) and want to train her for Trial (Field/Retrieving) and Show work. What organisations do I need to join to enable me to compete and how do I find out the rules of the game?
Cheers and thanks for the help...
Con Chrys
Con Chrys

Postby Jason Ferris » Fri 06 Feb 2004 11:27 am

Hi Con

Welcome to the awrc bb and the trialling game. To answer your questions:

Con Chrys wrote:1. I'm in NE Victoria and looking to join a club that would enable me to get some training support. Does anyone know of any within an hour or so of Benalla, Vic? Albury/Wodonga perhaps?

There are a range of clubs in Victoria, may of which run trials and training days in your area. The Central Highlands Club runs its huge Easter trial at Benalla. Contact Kate Eltringham (see the memberlist for details).

Con Chrys wrote:2. Reading the bulletins on Rules etc, I was wondering where do you get a rule book from and what organisation has the "Rule book"? What organisations do I need to join to enable me to compete and how do I find out the rules of the game?

The rules are issued by the Australian National Kennel Council (ANKC). Unfortunately they are not on the web - you have to buy them from your state member body - in your case the Victorian Canine Association:

Telephone :(03) 9788 2500
Facsimile:(03) 9788 2599
Email : office@vca.org.au

To compete in trials your dog has to be registered as purebred with the VCA and you need to be a member. You also need a firearms licence.

If you need clarification on how trials operate, please post questions here - someone will be able to help.

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Prue Winkfield » Fri 06 Feb 2004 1:43 pm

Hi - contact the Britany Club of Victoria - they run field trials, retrieving trials and shows. A lot of people here hunt with Britanys and GSPs and am sure would be willing to help. For the hunting side you definitely need to be a good shot - if you are and have contact with farmers with quail - you will be very popular!
Prue Winkfield

Training

Postby Garrick Bridges » Sat 07 Feb 2004 11:47 am

Hi Con,
I live in Albury and sometimes get together with some friends to train dogs. There are Labs, Weis, GSP's and a solitary Gordon Setter. We are all novices but you are welcome to join us if you are interested. PM me with your details.

Garrick
Garrick Bridges

Return to General