Girls, whose husbands will not be at home this weekend?

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Girls, whose husbands will not be at home this weekend?

Postby Julie Cramond » Tue 10 Feb 2004 3:18 pm

Andrew is going to South Australia this weekend for duck opening.

It seems to me, as the non hunter in the family, the organising of a duck hunting trip seems to take as long as the trip itself.

Happy hunting darling Andrew.
Julie Cramond

Postby Teresa Parkinson » Tue 10 Feb 2004 3:28 pm

Hi Julie,

We've never been to a SA opening but I've heard they're a lot of fun. Looks like we're sitting it out waiting for the Victorian opening instead. Lucky Andrew. Which dog/s has he taken?

Just for a change, I'm off to Prue's this weekend for a spot of training in country that isn't dead flat. :lol: Here's hoping the temperatature's less than the 40-odd degrees we've been experiencing lately! :roll:

Teresap
Teresa Parkinson

Postby Prue Winkfield » Tue 10 Feb 2004 4:19 pm

Talking of SA duck opening - I was invited to go with three Greeks (one bought a dog from me) but I declined - sleeping in a tent is history as far as I am concerned but am sure it would have made for good storytellling! Will wait for the Victorian one and go sit on a river bank!
Prue Winkfield

Postby Julie Cramond » Tue 10 Feb 2004 5:02 pm

Andrew and I are PRESENTLY discussing/debating/OK arguing which dog he should take.

As long as he gets his ducks and has a good time he/I will be happy.

The quota for ducks in South Australia, against Victoria, is certainly TURNING him on.

My grandmother who is Lithuanian, asked me years ago, if I was upset when Andrew went hunting. She used to be very upset when her husband went away. I was so shocked by her question.
Julie Cramond

Postby Kirsty Blair » Tue 10 Feb 2004 5:31 pm

Ah yes, Julie. I always greet the idea of my partner going away with RELIEF. Everything seems to stay so much cleaner......

Although the downside is that there's no-one at home to throw dummies for me :( (Don't anyone tell him I said that! :wink: )

Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

Postby Kate Eltringham » Tue 10 Feb 2004 6:58 pm

Hi Girls,

Well you can add me to the list, deserted for the weekend - Valentine's Day on Saturday to boot. Noel's heading off on Thursday to do some bonding - with who's debatable but here's hoping Tike will bring me back some ducks. He wouldn't take the Blonde (Ski) for some reason muttering about first time for two years you don't take the pup!!!

Oh well some retail shopping therapy might even out the playing field :lol: .

Hate to tell you this Teresa but it's going to be hot, hot, hot down here this weekend.

Cheers

Kate
Kate Eltringham

Postby Karen Parnell » Wed 11 Feb 2004 12:43 pm

Hi all,

So how long does your shooting season last in SA? Our duckshooting season is from beginning May through to mid-late July (very few trials to attend during that period as most triallists are away weekends getting their 'bag').

Here in NZ we trial all year (a good break over Xmas/New Year) as we don't have the hot weather/snakes as you do over there. We had our first Champ trial of the season a couple of weekends ago and I am heading south again on Friday for another trial.

MMMmmmm - retail therapy.... sounds delightful!

K.
Karen Parnell

Duck season

Postby Jason Ferris » Wed 11 Feb 2004 1:34 pm

Hi Karen

The duck season in SA this year is from Saturday February 14, 2004 to Sunday June 27, 2004. The bag limit is 8 birds per day with the exception of Wood Duck for which there is no bag limit.

In Victoria (the heartland of duck hunting in Australia), the season has been restricted this year. It runs from Saturday 20 March, to Sunday 16 May. The daily bag limit is two birds per day. An additional three Wood Duck may also be taken on each day of the season.

Unlike mallards in NZ, we don't have large numbers of any introduced duck species.

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Return to General