Visitor from NZ

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Postby Karen Parnell » Wed 11 Feb 2004 4:57 pm

Hi Gareth,

Laraine and Sue have mentioned you and your Dad on numerous occasions...but my lips are sealed! :wink:

Yes, Sue did come over and trial here. She brought Georgia over and was very successful in what we call our minor trials. Sue was able to compete with Georgia at this level without having to join the NZKC as the 'minors' are not considered a championship event. If you were to bring an Open dog (or All Age) over to compete in the Retriever or All Breeds event - you would have to register your dog with the NZKC and join a NZ club.

Retriever event = competing in (usually) two sections with multiple birds. Basic trial is a two bird heel retrieve, now it is common to see trials set up with three marked birds or two birds plus a blind (land). Water section is a minimum of two birds retrieved across water (usual trial). Distances of retrieves for Retriever are 65 - 100 m. As the birds are 'marked retrieves', any control used to put your dog into the finding area is penalised. The emphasis of our trials is on the dogs ability to mark and retrieve game, not the handling ability unless doing a blind retrieve.

All Breeds event = open to all breeds of gundog, water section is two marked birds across water (usually 65 - 80 m, depending on width of water), Land section is a hunting trial - dog quartering ground ahead of handler to find a minimum of three game. Usually it is two homers and one dead game with a shot on the workup. This trial is considered the premier event of our championships.

Let me know if I can give you more info - trying to keep it brief so as not to bore people... <g>

Take care,
K.
Karen Parnell

Postby Karen Parnell » Wed 11 Feb 2004 5:03 pm

Hi Brian,

Yes - I know Geri (FTCh. Goldenflite El Greco QC) rather well.... he is sired by my dog Marley (NZCh. Darrowby Ranchosierra Reggae CDX - imp USA) so I am a teensy bit biased when it comes to him! :D

Geri picked up a good number of CC's last year and is holding the breed record in field trials for number of CC's won by a golden. I think he is sitting on 13 at present, requires another 7 to earn the title Grand Field Trial Champion...fingers crossed this happens this year although he is still 'young' for a golden (rising 5 years), I have no doubt he will achieve this milestone.

Good luck with your pup - its one of the reasons I am coming over at Easter - to catch up with friends and 'furry' relatives!!

Cheers
K.
Karen Parnell

Previous

Return to General