UNITED FIELD TRIAL ASSOCIATION FOR GUNDOGS

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

UNITED FIELD TRIAL ASSOCIATION FOR GUNDOGS

Postby Jim Cattermole » Sat 30 Jun 2007 12:41 pm

United Field Trial Association for Gundogs Inc has made the difficult
decision to withdraw from running Retreiving Trials in 2007 as we're unable
to obtain permission from our controlling body, Canine Control Council Qld,
to use dokken teal as game at our trials.
Ch Torlum Drumeldre CD RRD 1996-2005 a great mate.
Jim Cattermole

Postby Jim Cattermole » Sat 30 Jun 2007 1:14 pm

I was asked to write UFTA's announcement on behalf of UFTA but I was unable to do so and referred it back to the executive with my draft. What I would like to have said probably quite rightly was considered too provocative. The CCC(Q)/RAFT subcommittee chair do not take kindly any form of criticism. Had I written the story behind the short words UFTA submitted I would probably be before the disciplinary committee a lot sooner than likely later. They have harrassed clubs and members who dare to submit differences of opinion and have demonstrated that using official authority for personal vendettas is council sanctioned. These same officials have forced the President and myself as Secretary of FRA to retire for health reasons. To remain in those positions would have resulted in our eventual banishment along the same spurious lines as our UFTA colleagues. Though this may still happen. All other States have a democratically elected controlling body (I am led to believe). Queensland unfortunately does not. In normal circumstances this does not overly matter. That is until 2004 or thereabouts a person assumed a position in the CCC(Q) of critical importance to the gundog trialling fraternity in Queensland. This position of authority was systematically abased and abused for the personal satisfaction of its incumbent and despite multitudes of letters of complaint the council has seen fit to ignore the wishes of its members and maintain this unholy status quo.
It is my firm conviction that the agenda of council through the RAFT subcommittee chair is to totally annihilate our sport of field and retrieving for gundogs in Queensland. They talk the talk but what they do is done behind closed doors, and we are now seeing the results. What they have done and are doing still, has sickened me to the core. For our dog's sake I hope and pray that sense will soon prevail for it is close to too late for a lot of us.
With many regrets for the might have beens
Jim
Jim Cattermole

Postby Prue Winkfield » Sat 30 Jun 2007 5:42 pm

Jim - don't want to get involved with the Queensland doggy politics - sounds sounds ghastly. However, your RAFT (QCC) could not approve trials held with rubber ducks even if it wanted to as all trials have to be conducted under the National Canine Control Council Rules and Regulations on game specified therein. My understanding is that clubs can run picnic tests, etc using anything they like but winnings cannot go towards titles - ie NRD,RRD,AA,RtCh. Prue
Prue Winkfield

Postby Jim Cattermole » Sun 01 Jul 2007 8:00 am

G'day Prue
You are basically right. But unfortunately the rubber duck issue is just a symptom not the cause. The real issue is verrry political and I have probably said too much on this site ( all of which, similar at the least, I have already communicated to the CCC(Q) officially and personally). We have been trying to push for change because whatever it is we are doing now (for the past 5+ years) is seeing a not so gradual diminishment of the sport. From this site I know it is affecting others states similarly. At least here This site) people apparently express their opinions and are heard. And we tell people quite clearly when we have a difference of opinion. That is very wholesome and healthy, people at large have a better understanding of the other's point of view. Whereas in Queensland you can never be too sure that what you say won't be in the hands of the Gestapo and turned into a federal case. Once accused by the CCC(Q) and in the hands of the disciplinary committee you are presumed guilty until you are pronounced guilty (no other finding permissable).
What we wanted was for the RAFT and CCC(Q) to acknowledge the problem and work with the clubs to find a solution. Apparently they preferred to either ignore it or worst case scenario speed the process. What they have been doing recently is successfully speeding the process of destroying our sport in Queensland. The only triallers not complaining up here are the one's too afraid to speak openly because of the hold the CCC(Q) has over their kennels, or the ones riding on the wolf's back hoping everyone else will sate its hunger. That is a forlorn hope. UFTA have gone into recess for the year, as a trialler I anxiously await the result of all these political assassinations and hope I will still be trialling my dog/s in the years to come. I am an eternal optimist. Somewhere, somehow sanity will afflict the Sport and we can go back to friendly trialling or at least cut-throat competition.
many regards
Jim
Jim Cattermole

Postby Jackie Price » Sun 01 Jul 2007 4:41 pm

The use of pigeons at trials is becoming a big issue and problem. In Qld we pick our pigeons up live, have to get them to the trial, dispatch, sort and then have to get rid of them after the trial. This is the first year the clubs have had to do this as past years Bob Lodder did this for the clubs, which made it much easier. Bob no longer trials so we have to do this now our selves. Most clubs have only a small number of people who acctually help out at trials. I am wondering how many triallers have acctually thought about this. Most pay their money turn up and trial their dogs, some do help by stewarding and some do nothing!! I know the Weimaraner club Qld is having problems with people to assist at trials, at the most there is three of us that do everything, if we did'nt have to worry about the birds things would be so much easier, rubber ducks really are the way to go, I know there are triallers out there who have a thing about about not using them because you cannot tell if the dog has a hard mouth, but how many of these people have organised trials, and had to organise the pigeons??????
At the moment in Qld we are losing triallers, and if the clubs cannot operate because of lack of workers then we lose our trials.

Jim, the Qld RAFT sub committee can only do so much, the ANKC do not meet until Oct, then a submission will go in, it is being worked on at the moment, but if more Qld triallers voiced their opions maybe we will be heard. I have probably said too much, so will sign off
Jackie
Jackie Price

Postby Jason Ferris » Sun 01 Jul 2007 5:11 pm

Jackie_Price wrote:At the moment in Qld we are losing triallers, and if the clubs cannot operate because of lack of workers then we lose our trials.

Jackie

I would be interested to know how the clubs in Qld have determined that there is a relationship between people leaving the sport and using pigeons. I accept the arguement that pigeons might make it harder to advertise the sport, but I am yet to see anyone leave because of the birds.

I sounds to me like you have had a draem run with Bob handling all the birds for Qld trials.

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Prue Winkfield » Sun 01 Jul 2007 5:58 pm

Have to agree with Jason - Queensland must have had a dream run with one person providing all the birds for you! Trial Managers here are reponsible for provision of birds along with everything else - most are Committee members and either deal with it themselves or another Committee Member does on their behalf. Would imagine it is the same in other States? Hopefully the people who stand for Commitees are prepared to do some work not rely on others though imagine this could be a problem in some breed clubs whose emphasis is on showing.
Prue Winkfield

Postby Tony Rowland » Sun 01 Jul 2007 11:28 pm

jason

how about we go into the state export game - frozen ready to go pidgeons -beats rubber ducks?

tony
Last edited by Tony Rowland on Mon 02 Jul 2007 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
working with the grey ghost, can be like catching fly with chop stick''
Tony Rowland

Postby FOM - Lainee » Mon 02 Jul 2007 2:23 am

It sounds like clubs there suffer the same as here in the US....a few do all the work for many.....but if the desire is there, those few always find a way to make it happen.....pigeons are the EASIEST bird to take care of, dispatch and dispose of.....sounds like members need to step up and takers of the sport need to step up or bring their laziness to light.

These threads depress me....I think I'll go shoot some ducks for my dogs and the pigeons we just trapped the other night.....birds, birds, birds.....dokkens are nice for training, but don't test dogs on them and award titles based on passes from them.

If the Qld club needs a break from using piegons, then use dokkens and run fun trials, try to generate new members, but don't use them to award titles!

Just Saying,

FOM
FOM - Lainee

Postby Diane McCann » Tue 03 Jul 2007 9:41 am

From this thread and the one on the 'general' page it is obvious that there is a lot more to this that I have absolutely no knowledge of. However in response to the posts and what is contained in them two thoughts have come to my mind.

The first one is 'why is QLD not using frozen birds?' Doesn't change the fact that they have to be sourced and disposed of but it does make it easier to accumulate them over time and transport them to trials. They may disintergrate a bit quicker than freshly killed birds but surely the benefits make it worth while and it is still a better test than using rubber ducks.

The second one is 'if the general trialler is not contributing to running the trials, including pigeons, then surely the use of them is not a factor in declining competitor numbers'. Are there other factors leading to falling numbers that affect QLD more than other states?

This is contentious, and possibly entirely untrue as it is second or third hand - but I have heard that the sport in QLD is a lot more officious than we experience in Victoria. I have heard examples of triallers being eliminated for very technical breaches of rules which I know would not be treated that way down here.

Here is an example of how great retrieving trials are to be a part of in Vic. On Saturday a trial was run at a site that we have not used for quite a few years. It was about 2 hours drive from Melbourne. One trialler became lost and turned up to the trial site about 2 hours late, obviously very annoyed and frustrated. He was entered in Novice and as that stake had a small entry they were already onto their third run when he arrived. The judge allowed him to run his dog on the third run and then re-set up the first and second run and allowed him to have a go at those as well. The judge scored the dog for the benefit of the handler (non competing of course). Now this would not have been possible with a big field but the judge and the workers (other competitors) were willing to do this as they empathised and wanted to make the day less than a total waste of time and energy for this handler. Well done to all involved - this is what keeps triallers coming back!

Diane
Diane McCann

Return to 2007