Tassie's Spaniel & Retriever Field Trial May 15 & 16

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Tassie's Spaniel & Retriever Field Trial May 15 & 16

Postby Susie Partridge » Tue 18 May 2004 6:28 pm

Peter Kennon officiated at our combined club Spaniel & Retriever Field Trial over the weekend of May 15 & 16.
Malcolm Tyrie made a long trip south and it didn't take him or Nick long to work out what was required at a field trial! In Nick's first and second field trial ever he managed to accumulate 7 championship points and his NFD - well done Malcolm!
Peter awarded 4 QC's over the weekend rewarding some really great dog work. Game was pretty scarce but the good hunting dogs managed to find it! Results were (just in case you haven't read them on the Tassie page)...
May 15th 2004
Novice – Judge Mr Peter Kennon (Vic)
1st Susie Partridge’s Rt Ch Majoley Rags T Riches (Lab Ret Dog) – no points awarded; 2nd Malcolm Tyrie’s Nat Rt Ch Haigenhauf Golden One (Lab Ret Dog) – no points awarded

Open – Judge Mr Peter Kennon (Vic)
Abandoned due to lack of game

May 16th 2004
Novice - Judge Mr Peter Kennon (Vic)
1st Malcolm Tyrie’s Nat Rt Ch Haigenhauf Golden One (Lab Ret Dog) – 2 Championship points; 2nd Susie Partridge’s Rt Ch Majoley Rags T Riches (Lab Ret Dog) – no points awarded

Open- Judge Mr Peter Kennon (Vic)
1st Malcolm Tyrie’s Nat Rt Ch Haigenhauf Golden One (Lab Ret Dog) – 5 Championship points; 2nd Susie Partridge’s Rt Ch Majoley Rags T Riches (Lab Ret Dog) – no points awarded
Susie Partridge

Postby Kirsty Blair » Tue 25 May 2004 10:11 am

Hi Susie,

Forgive my ignorance please - how are Championship points determined and allocated? I noticed that the winning dog on one day wasn't allocated any but the winner on the next day was awarded two points. Was the trial run on Water Hens?

Many thanks
Kirsty

P.S. Thanks for the congrats - I look forward to seeing you all again soon :D
Kirsty Blair

Championship points

Postby Susie Partridge » Tue 25 May 2004 5:57 pm

Hi Kirsty
I think that the following is right, but I usually go into the field trials to make up the numbers!
Points are only allocated if a dog has 'filled his card' as in fulfilled all 5 (I think) requirements. They include steadiness, a find on game, a retrieve. Also a judge only gives a dog points if he has worked to the judge's satisfaction.
For example at the last trial Geordie won Saturday's novice, but didn't get a retrieve so he didn't get points. On Sunday's novice, Nick did get a retrieve and worked to the judge's satisfaction so he did get points.
In Novice 1st place can get 2 points and 2nd place, 1 point. In Open 1st place can get 5 points and 2nd, 3 points. To gain a Novice Field Dog title you have to get 4 points, and to gain a Field Trial Championship you have to gain 10 points, and win at least one open
... clear as mud?
Susie Partridge

Postby Kirsty Blair » Tue 25 May 2004 6:31 pm

Thanks Susie. Just one more thing.....how can a dog win the trial without completing a retrieve?

Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

completing the trial

Postby Susie Partridge » Wed 26 May 2004 6:15 pm

Hi Kirsty
I think.... it's if the dog has worked to the judge's satisfaction, but if he hasn't completed a retrieve for such reasons as a wounded bird was not found or game was found but not shot because other handlers, other dogs or the judge was in the way! And we were working native hens, rabbits and hares. Although Geordie did find a feral cat in the first trial this year but Paul wouldn't count it!!
cheers
Susie
Susie Partridge

Return to 2003-4