Vic Gundog Trial 1 & 2 March 2014

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Vic Gundog Trial 1 & 2 March 2014

Postby Trevor Stow » Thu 16 Jan 2014 4:00 pm

Does anybody know the general area of this trial? Why don't we put that information up?
Trevor Stow

Re: Vic Gundog Trial 1 & 2 March 2014

Postby Gareth Tawton » Thu 16 Jan 2014 11:18 pm

Hi Trevor

This trial is likely to be at serpentine. This will be subject to the weather over the next few weeks. Like most of victoria it is very hot and dry in that part of the world. I might also point out that the VGC is the only club running training days on a regular basis to encourage new people into our sport. This is done by a small but passionate group of people but there are only so many hours in a day. We would welcome anyone willing to give a hand.
One of the difficult factors in finalizing trial details is obtaining judges. As a trial manager the changes in the Victorian trialling calendar at this time of the year has placed a lot if pressure on the relatively small group of active triallers that are also prepared to judge.This has made getting judges even harder. Life would be much easier if two things happened.

1. You and other aa competitors put their hand up to become judges.
2. The Vic RAFT got of its ass and made becoming a judge a less difficult task that took less time and was less of an imposition on prospective applicants. Seriously with a bit of guidance judging is not that hard!!!!

Regards
Gareth
Gareth Tawton

Postby Kerry Webster » Fri 17 Jan 2014 12:48 pm

Gareth we have dreadful trouble in getting judges for our trials each season. Almost all of our judges run a dog/s in one or more of the retrieving stakes, and we do try not to overload people with appointments by asking a judge from the Eastern States to come and judge, but often the cost of bringing a judge over, accommodating them etc, is not something our smaller clubs can even contemplate. Add to that, some judges refuse to take appointments at all !

The small number of W.A. judges are generally well utilized each year. We had one new AA judge qualify last year and no new judges for Novice stakes or Restricted. If we got a couple more people who would at least take on judging Novice and Restricted then maybe that would release the ones presently hovering between Rest and AA to do the assessment for the higher level and boost the AA judges numbers in this state.
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Postby Rachel Greaves » Sat 18 Jan 2014 6:28 am

Good morning, Trevor
Before you shoot off about not knowing where trails are to be held, consider this:
In 2014 The Gundog Club in Victoria will not only organize 5 days (ie 15 Stakes) of Retrieving Trials but also 9 days of Field Trials, an Open Show and a Championship Show. The amount of work we ask of our volunteer sub committees is considerable and it all happens without you lifting a finger.
It might not take much for us to throw in the towel.
Rachel Greaves
Secretary
Victorian Gundog Club Inc
Rachel Greaves

Postby Trevor Stow » Sat 18 Jan 2014 10:25 am

Hi Rachel,

I was not "shooting off " about trials as you state and I am sorry that you are under the pressure that you state. I just asked why we do not list the general area of the trial which I think would be of assistance to competitors. It is very rare for a trial to be shifted away from lets say "the Sale" area or "the Ballarat" area and I think that most people would understand if a trial had to be shifted at the last minute due to weather etc. That would easily be conveyed on this site. Most of our trial sites (general areas) are determined many months in advance. Why do we not put a general area up if we know what that general area is?

Trevor.
Trevor Stow

Postby Barrie Tyson » Wed 22 Jan 2014 11:21 am

Indicating the general area for a trial on the schedule, or at least a couple of weeks before the closing date, would be very handy especially for "Country" entrants. On the other hand I believe that when a club comes to my neck of the woods it is important to either enter or volunteer to steward whenever possible.
Barrie Tyson

Postby Prue Winkfield » Wed 22 Jan 2014 2:24 pm

Barry - until very recently the schedules always advised people to ring the Trial Manager the week before the trial for location. In recent years this seems to have slipped off the schedules. Could be that we have far fewer trial sites now to chose from. A handful of dedicated people are still endeavouring to find new sites and am sure they would be grateful if more trialers could put up their hands to help in this regard.

I have a radical suggestion: the next time someone questions judges, location, runs,etc, they should ask themselves what they have done personally to
promote and support the sport ( include myself in aspects of this! ). Of course some people are major contributors year in and year out for which we all should be eternally grateful. Prue
Prue Winkfield

Postby Barrie Tyson » Wed 22 Jan 2014 5:46 pm

Hi Prue - absolutely no flaming intended. My point is that the general location intended for a trial is handy to know before committing to enter or steward. E.g. coming from a few km north of Bairnsdale I am unlikely to enter a trial in the west of the state unless I fancy a weekend away.

Cheers

Barrie
Barrie Tyson

Postby Prue Winkfield » Wed 22 Jan 2014 6:42 pm

Barrie - I was not having a go at you in particular but trying to explain the difficulties Clubs have. Often we do not know until about 2 weeks prior - we may know where we would like it to be but due to weather - too dry and not enough water, too much rain and can't have access often upset the best plans. Suggest that if you are interested in stewarding (which would be great) you ring the trial manager and get the lie of the land around the time entries are due to close. Prue
Prue Winkfield

Postby Prue Winkfield » Sat 25 Jan 2014 1:47 pm

VICTORIAN GUNDOG CLUB INC.
RETRIEVING TRIAL FOR GUNDOGS SCHEDULE
To be held under the Rules and Regulation of the Victorian Canine Association Inc.

A copy may be inspected at the office of the Secretary of the fixture on the day of the trial.

DATE: Saturday 1st March & Sunday 2nd March , 2014
TRIAL MANAGER: Gareth Tawton 54354127

JUDGES: Saturday 1st March

Novice: Mr John Nairn (SA)
Restricted: Mr.Peter Eley
All Age: Mr. Richard Carr

Sunday 2nd March

Novice: Mr Garrick Bridges
Restricted: Mr John Nairn (SA)
All Age: Mrs Heather Ellis (WA).

ENTRY FEES including the DV levy and equipment fees

Stake Members Non Members
NOVICE: $15.00 $20.00
RESTRICTED: $20.00 $25.00
ALL AGE: $20.00 $25.00

ENTRIES CLOSE: Friday 21st February 2014. with the Trial Secretary: Ms. M. Conheady, 120 Hjorth Road, Toolern Vale 3337. Ph: 03 97461331

PLEASE NOTE NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED

DRAW: At Trial Secretary's residence, 8.00 p.m., Sunday 23rd March 2014

VETTING TIME: 07.30 a.m. - 07.45 a.m. START TIME: 08.00 a.m.

TROPHY LIST: Sash & Trophy will be presented to all placegetters to third place.

Points will be awarded at these trials towards the Bambillay Cup (AA) and Fort Wrangham Trophy (Novice) and aggregated with the points gained at the Club’s July Trials..

A "NOVICE STAKE" is a stake confined to Gundogs that have not won any stake other than one (1) Novice Stake, Puppy Stake and Beginners' Tests excluded.
A "RESTRICTED STAKE" is a stake confined to Gundogs that have not won three (3) Restricted Stakes or an All Age Stake or been placed first or second in a Championship Stake.
An "ALL AGE STAKE" is a stake confined to Gundogs that have won a Novice or have been placed first, second or third in a Restricted Stake.

SHOOTERS LICENCE: At all Retrieving & Field Trials conducted in Victoria, a competitor MUST produce a current shooters licence at vetting, or they WILL NOT be permitted to compete at the trial.

TRIAL VENUES: Properties used for Trials are private properties and MUST NOT be revisited after the trial. Entry for the Trial is subject to this condition.

QUALIFICATIONS:

A "NOVICE STAKE" is a stake confined to Gundogs that have not won any stake other than one (1) Novice Stake, Puppy Stake and Beginners' Tests excluded.
A "RESTRICTED STAKE" is a stake confined to Gundogs that have not won three (3) Restricted Stakes or an All Age Stake or been placed first or second in a Championship Stake.
An "ALL AGE STAKE" is a stake confined to Gundogs that have won a Novice or have been placed first, second or third in a Restricted Stake.

SHOOTERS LICENCE: At all Retrieving & Field Trials conducted in Victoria, a competitor MUST produce a current shooters licence at vetting, or they WILL NOT be permitted to compete at the trial.

TRIAL VENUES: Properties used for Trials are private properties and MUST NOT be revisited after the trial. Entry for the Trial is subject to this condition.

CATERING; There will be NO CATERING at this trial

TROPHY LIST: Sash & Trophy will be presented to all placegetters to third place.

Points will be awarded at these trials towards the Bambillay Cup (AA) and Fort Wrangham Trophy (Novice) and aggregated with the points gained at the Club’s July Trials..

QUALIFICATIONS:

TRIAL VENUES: Properties used for Trials are private properties and MUST NOT be revisited after the trial.

Entry for the Trial is subject to this condition.

120 Hjorths Road. TOOLERN VALE 3337 Ph: 03 9746 1331

PLEASE NOTE: NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED

VETTING TIME: 07.30 a.m. - 07.45 a.m. START TIME: 08.00 a.m.

DRAW: At Trial Secretary's residence, 8.00 p.m., Sunday 23rd March 2014

QUALIFICATIONS:

TRIAL VENUES: Properties used for Trials are private properties and MUST NOT be revisited after the trial.

Entry for the Trial is subject to this condition.

Prue Winkfield

Postby Rachel Greaves » Fri 31 Jan 2014 8:18 am

Apologies - the draw will be on 23rd FEBRUARY not the 23rd March !!!!
Rachel Greaves

Return to 2014