Vale Bob Maver

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Vale Bob Maver

Postby Margaret Hall » Tue 09 May 2023 3:52 pm

It is with sadness I report the passing of Bob Maver at the ripe old age of 92. Bob has lived the past several years happily in Tasmania next door to his son and family. The development of gundog retrieving trials in Australia owes a great debt to Bob. He was one of the initiators of the development of retrieving trials and development of the first rules. Pure bred dogs and the Labrador Retriever in particular are also in much better health thanks to Bob's energy and commitment to the health screening of our dogs through his long association with the ANKC Canine Health and Wellbeing Committee and his place in promoting the then new technology of DNA testing.
He was inducted into the Retrieving Trial Hall of fame in 2000 and his resume outlines his tireless work and love for the retrieving fraternity and his great love of Labrador retrievers.
I learnt a lot from Bob over the years from when Steve and I first started in retrieving and we always enjoyed his company at trials and his quite calm way of working with dogs and judging at various levels over the years. He was always a wealth of information for new comers into the sport.

Check out the Dogs Australia (ANKC) Hall of Fame listing for his full resume and history ... it is very impressive.
Margaret Hall

Re: Vale Bob Maver

Postby Joe Vella » Thu 11 May 2023 11:07 am

Hi Margaret, thank you for making us aware of Bob's passing.
it was only yesterday, he came into my mind while i was writing something.
Please pass on our condolences to Bob's family.
Bob was a thorough gentleman and was very respected for his involvement in the canine world.
Bob Maver,may you rest in peace
Joe and Jane Vella
Joe Vella

Return to General